Farpais Phìobaireachd Òigridh / Young Pipers Championship - 2023 dates TBA
Comunn Gàidhlig Thoronto / The Gaelic Society of Toronto is pleased to be hosting our annual Young Pipers Championship. The Championship is open to all Pipers 21 years and under and according to Grade.
When: 2023 dates TBA
Location: The Toronto Scottish Regiment HQ and A Company
70 Birmingham Street, Etobicoke, Ontario M8V 3W6
(On Street Parking)
Cost: $10 per Piper (plus $0.90 processing fee ); $5 per spectator ticket at the door
If you have any questions or require assistance please contact us at email@example.com
The deadline for entries is TBA. Please review the details below before registering.
Awards & Requirements
A' Chiad Fharpais / Event One: The Gaelic Society of Toronto Captain Iain Macdonald Memorial Trophy
- Category: "Medley of Tunes"
- Open to pipers in either grades 1 or 2 (and 21 years of age or younger as of April 18th, 2020)
- All competitors to perform a 3 to 5 minute medley of bagpipe music of their choice.
- Gaelic Society of Toronto Medals and prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in this category.
An Dàrna Farpais /Event Two: The Scott MacAulay Memorial Trophy
- Category: "Slow Air"
- Open to pipers in either grades 3, 4 or 5 (and 21 years of age or younger as of April 18th, 2020)
- All competitors to submit one slow air and play once through.
- Gaelic Society of Toronto Medals and prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in this category.
List of Tunes
These are preferred tune suggestions, but pipers can also opt to play their own choice of slow air.
- An Eala Bhàn (The White Swan) – Composer: Donald MacDonald of Coruna
- Bu deònach leam tilleadh (I would willingly return) – Composer: Hugh F MacKenzie
- Chì mi na mórbheanna (The Mist-covered Mountains) - Composer: John Cameron
- Chi Mi'n Toman (I see the hillock) – Traditional
- Gruagach òg an fhuilt bhàin (The Fair Maid of Barra) – Composer: John Campbell
- Leaving Barra - Composer: Michael "Bronni" MacKinnon
- Leaving Lochbosidale – Composer: John Wilson, Edinburgh/Toronto
- Leaving Rhu Vaternish – Traditional
- Leaving St Kilda – Composer: Willie Ross
- Loch Raineach (Loch Rannoch) – Composer: John Wilson, Edinburgh/Toronto
- Loch Monar – Composer: Willie Ross
- Máire Bhán Óg (Mary,Young and Fair) – Melody attributed: Duncan Ban Macintyre, Argyll
- Mo Dhachaigh (My Home) - Traditional
- Muile nam Mor-bheanna (Mull of the Mountains) – Composer: Duncan Livingstone, Crogan, Isle of Mull
- Sine Bhan (Fair Jean) – Composed Duncan Johnson (Islay)
- The Eastern Townships - Composer: Michael Grey
- Tog Orm Mo Phìob (Lament for Ruairidh Mòr) - Composer: Patrick Mor MacCrimmon
The Scott MacAulay Memorial Trophy: 1st Caleb Macpherson
Captain Iain Macdonald Memorial Trophy: 1st Colin Johnstone; 2nd Kayleigh Johnstone
2017 Winners - Event One:
1. Gavin Mackay - The Gaelic Society of Toronto Captain Iain Macdonald Memorial Trophy
2. Colin Johnstone
3. Mark McLennan
2017 Winners - Event Two:
1. Harrison Little - The Scott MacAulay Memorial Trophy
2. Rachel Gordon
3. Michael Malish
4. Matthew Parsons
Generously sponsored by: